If you're looking for an easy, keto-friendly snack to enjoy at home or take on the go, look no further than these homemade granola bar recipes. These are treats the entire family will enjoy!
Granola bars are an easy and tasty way to get your daily dose of nutrition. With the right ingredients, you can make low-carbohydrate granola bars packed with health benefits such as fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants.
Before we share our favorite keto-friendly granola bar recipes with you, let's understand more about the ketogenic diet. Let's also look at granola bars, such as their basic ingredients, benefits, and why they are such a popular snack.
Let's get started!
Keto diet at a glance
The keto diet, or the ketogenic diet, is a low-carbohydrate and high-fat diet that aims to put our body into a state of ketosis. Ketosis is when our body burns fat for fuel instead of carbohydrates.
The keto diet is said to aid people in weight loss. It also helps people with health conditions such as Type 2 diabetes, Autism, Obesity, Alzheimer's disease, and even some types of cancer.
While there are different kinds of keto diets, below is the typical macronutrient ratio for the restricted diet:
- Fat: 70-75% of daily calories
- Protein: 20-25% of daily calories
- Carbohydrates: 5-10% of daily calories
Foods typically allowed on a keto diet include meat, fish, eggs, non-starchy vegetables, nuts and seeds, as well as healthy fats like olive oil, avocado, and coconut oil. When you're on this diet, you should avoid sugar, grains, legumes, and most fruits.
Before starting a ketogenic diet or making any significant dietary changes, remember to consult with a healthcare professional.
What are granola bars?Image source: Pexels
Granola bars are often considered a healthy option because they are made with natural ingredients and are high in fiber and protein. They can also come with dried fruits, chocolate chips, and peanut butter for added flavor and texture. We'll talk more about the ingredients below.
Granola bars are usually easy to carry and eat on the go, making them a popular option for people looking for convenient and healthy breakfast food, snacks between meals, or pre-or post-workout snacks. It's a tasty snack that people of all ages can enjoy. It's a perfect treat for the entire family.
Granola bar ingredients
Homemade granola bar ingredients may differ according to your diet and preference. The basic components of traditional non-keto granola bars typically include the following:
- Rolled oats: These provide the base structure for the granola bars.
- Nuts and seeds: These add crunch, texture, and healthy fats to the bars. Common choices include almonds, pecans, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds.
- Sweetener: This can be honey, maple syrup, brown sugar, or other sweeteners. This ingredient holds the bars together and gives them a sweet flavor.
- Oil: This helps to bind the ingredients together and provides moisture to the bars. Common choices include coconut oil, olive oil, and butter.
- Dried fruits and chocolate chips: You can add these ingredients for extra flavor and texture. Common choices include raisins, cranberries, apricots, and chocolate chips.
- Spices or flavorings: These can include vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, or any other flavoring you choose.
You can also add other ingredients like protein powders, chia seeds, flax seeds, or wheat germ to enhance the nutritional value of your bars.
Why are granola bars popular?Image source: Pixabay
In the past few years, granola bars have become increasingly popular. You may have noticed them on store shelves, in kids' lunch boxes, or in office snack bins – they are everywhere! But what about them that makes them so beloved? They have even become staples in many people's diets.
Well, these tasty, chewy granola bars are popular for several reasons:
With the growing number of health-conscious consumers, granola bars have become increasingly popular. People would choose this delicious treat as a healthier alternative to other snacks such as cookies or candy. They are made with natural ingredients and are high in fiber and protein, which makes them a good choice for people looking for a nutritious snack.
Granola bars are very portable and easy to grab on the go, making them a popular option for people who are always on the move. You can quickly grab them for a filling breakfast or a healthy snack option.
There are many types of granola bars available, with different flavors, textures, and ingredients. There is something to suit everyone's taste, which is why many people love them.
People love granola bars because they are customizable. When you make your own granola bar, you can tailor it to your taste and dietary restrictions, such as keto, gluten-free, or vegan.
Many people enjoy the taste of granola bars. They find them healthy yet satisfying as a sweet and crunchy snack.
Marketing also contributes a lot to the popularity of granola bars. Companies market these treats as healthy snacks, appealing to consumers looking for nutritious options. Marketers are also heavily targeting specific demographics, such as fitness enthusiasts, health-conscious parents, or busy professionals.
Are granola bars good for you?
With all the advertisements promoting granola bars as healthy snacks, they must be good for you, right? Well, it depends.
When you consume store-bought granola bars, be sure to check the nutrition facts at the back of the package. Read the ingredients to see if there are added flavors and preservatives that make them unhealthy. Better yet, make your own homemade granola bars to ensure you use the best ingredients and tailor the components based on your dietary needs.
Overall, granola bars are good for you when they are made with whole, natural ingredients and minimal added sugars.
Granola bar health benefitsImage source: Pexels
Granola bars can provide various health benefits, depending on the ingredients used. Let's take a look at the health benefits of granola bars.
High in fiber
Many granola bars are made with rolled oats, which are high in fiber. Fiber can help to keep you feeling full and may also aid in digestion. Increased fiber intake also helps with the following:
- Lowers cholesterol levels
- Controls blood sugar levels
- Aids in weight management
- Reduces risk of heart disease and certain cancers
- Promotes healthy gut bacteria
Some granola bars contain nuts, seeds, and other protein-rich ingredients. Protein can help to support muscle growth and repair. It can also help keep you full for longer, which can help in weight loss.
Low in added sugars
Unlike other sweet treats, keto granola bars are usually made with healthier sweeteners like monk fruit sugar or erythritol which won’t raise your blood glucose levels and are great for people who are diabetic. These sweeteners also provide a natural source of sweetness without the added sugars that can increase your risk for many diseases.
Healthy fat contents
The nuts and seeds in some granola bars are good sources of healthy fats like monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. These fats can help to support heart health, brain function, and overall well-being.
Rich in vitamins and minerals
Depending on the ingredients you choose for your granola bar recipes and store-bought bars, you can get different vitamins and minerals. For instance, dried fruits can give you Vitamin C, while nuts and seeds are a rich source of Vitamins A, B, D, and E, as well as an array of minerals.
Granola bars can be a good source of complex carbohydrates, boosting energy and keeping you going throughout the day. But again, it depends on the ingredients found in your granola bar. You must carefully check the ingredients and nutrition facts to see if the product or granola bar recipe is suited to your diet.
Are granola bars keto-friendly?
Speaking of diet, you might be wondering if granola bars are keto-friendly. While many granola bars have high carbohydrate content, you can't consider them keto-friendly. The good news is you can easily make granola bars at home and use keto-friendly granola ingredients to suit your low-carb and high-fat diet.
How to make low-carb granola barsImage source: Pexels
Making a keto-friendly granola bar involves carefully selecting ingredients that fit your controlled diet.
Keto-friendly granola bar recipe ingredients, variations, and substitutions
Choose the following low-carb ingredients and their substitutes:
- Nuts and seeds: These provide healthy fats, protein, and fiber. You can use almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and pecans.
- Low-carb sweeteners: Instead of using sugar, use low-carb sweeteners like erythritol, stevia, and monk fruit to sweeten your keto-friendly granola bar.
- Healthy fats: Choose coconut oil, butter, or ghee to bind the granola bars together while giving you a good source of healthy fats.
- Coconut flour, almond flour, or almond meal: These are low-carb, gluten-free flours you can use to give the bars a crunchy texture.
- Protein powder: You may add this to increase the protein content of your granola bars.
- Spices: You can also add spices like cinnamon or vanilla extract to give the bars a tasty flavor.
- Optional add-ins: Other keto-friendly ingredients you can add include cocoa powder, low-carb chocolate chips, berries, and unsweetened shredded coconut. These ingredients will give your granola more texture and flavor.
How to make keto granola bars
Preparing keto granola bars is just like making any other granola bar. The difference is mixing only keto-friendly ingredients, such as the ones mentioned above.
To learn how to cook keto-friendly granola bars, check out our recipes below.
Granola bar cooking tips
Here are some cooking tips for making keto-friendly granola bars:
- Use only keto-friendly ingredients and add-ins: To suit your low-carb and high-fat, high-protein diet needs, be sure to use only keto ingredients, such as those mentioned above.
- Experiment with different nuts and seeds: Mix and match different types of nuts and seeds to find the perfect combination for your taste and dietary needs.
- Add flavorings: Add flavorings like vanilla extract, cinnamon, or other keto-friendly spices to add extra flavor to your granola bars.
- Press firmly: Press the granola bar mixture firmly into the baking dish to help them hold together.
- Bake evenly: Make sure to bake the granola bars evenly to prevent burning or undercooking.
- Let cool: Let the granola bars cool completely before slicing them into bars.
- Store properly: Store granola bars in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer to keep them fresh and prevent them from getting soggy.
How to store granola bars
Here are some tips for storing granola bars:
- Room temperature: You can store granola bars at room temperature for 1-2 weeks in an airtight container. Place them in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
- Refrigeration: If you want to keep your granola bars fresh for a longer period of time, you can store them in the refrigerator. Place them in an airtight container, lasting up to 2-3 weeks.
- Freezing: To further extend your granola bars' shelf life, you can also store them in the freezer. They will last for up to 3 months.
- Wrapping individually: If you want to take granola bars on the go, it is a good idea to wrap them individually so you can grab them and go.
- Labeling: If you are storing multiple types of granola bars, label them so you can quickly identify them later.
- Keep away from moisture: Make sure to keep granola bars away from any source of moisture. Moisture can cause them to become soggy and lose their texture.
Following these tips ensures that your granola bars stay fresh and maintain their texture and flavor.
Keto-friendly granola bar recipes
Finally, here are some of our favorite keto-friendly granola bar recipes you can try. Not only are these recipes delicious, but they are also super easy to make using the same handful of ingredients.
These recipes use Avinola -the ONLY granola made with ancient lupini flakes. Lupini Flakes are a superfood packed with vitamins, minerals, and other essential nutrients for the whole family's well-being.
5 Min No Bake Granola Bars
This recipe is probably the quickest and easiest to make. You can prepare your granola bar in just 5 minutes using only 3 ingredients!
- 1 cup Avinola of choice
- 1/2 cup nut butter
- 1/2 almond flour for desired consistency
- Combine all three ingredients.
- Top with 1/3 or more melted chocolate.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Slice and serve.
And that's it! Your no-bake keto granola bars are ready.
If you want a homemade keto granola treat you can conveniently grab for work or school, this is the perfect recipe. Everyone will enjoy this healthy recipe for breakfast, snacks, or dessert.
- 1/2 cup nut or seed butter (sunflower seed butter)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup sweet almond coconut Avinola
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup raisins
- In a mixing bowl, combine the nut/seed butter and maple syrup.
- Once thoroughly combined, add the sweet almond coconut Avinola, oat flour, and a pinch of cinnamon. Mix until you form a dough.
- Add the raisins and roll the mixture into small balls.
- Place them in the refrigerator until firm, then enjoy!
No-Bake Chocolate Granola Mousse Bars
This no-bake granola bar recipe will surely impress anyone with its delicious flavor and texture. It's creamy on the top and crunchy at the bottom. Best of all, you can prepare this healthy and delicious dessert in just 10 minutes. Try it to believe!
- 1 cup Double Chocolate Sea Salt Avinola
- 1/3 cup nut or seed butter of choice (sunflower seed butter)
- 3 tbsp Oat or Almond flour
- 1 cup plain or vanilla yogurt (plain, nonfat Greek yogurt)
- 1/4 cup nut or seed butter of choice
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- In a mixing bowl, combine the Avinola and nut/seed butter until well mixed, and any large granola clusters are broken up.
- Add the oat or almond flour and stir until the mixture forms a dough.
- Press the crust mixture into a parchment-lined baking dish or loaf pan.
- Mix all the filling ingredients in a separate mixing bowl until well-mixed.
- Pour the filling mixture over the crust and spread it evenly.
- Freeze the dish for at least 4 hours or until set.
- Once set, slice into bars and enjoy!
- Store any leftovers in the freezer.
Granola bars are a versatile snack that everyone can enjoy. They are easy to make, healthy, and, most importantly, delicious! Whether you're looking for a quick on-the-go snack or some homemade fuel for your next hike, these keto granola bar recipes will give you just the right amount of energy and nutrients.
Experiment with different ingredients and find out what combination works best for you. Above all else, remember to have fun in the kitchen and enjoy your tasty creations!